Digital marketing refers to any marketing technique that utilizes electronic devices to pass a promotional message and evaluate its effect.
More specifically, digital marketing refers to the various marketing campaigns that you see on a tablet, phone, and computer, among other devices. It can be done in a wide range of forms, including social media posts, display ads, and online videos.
Digital marketing is typically paralleled with “traditional marketing” like direct mail, billboards, and magazine ads. Peculiarly, TVs are typically lumped in with the traditional form of marketing.
According to statistics, over three-quarters of USA residents can be on the internet on a daily basis. Forty-three percent can go online more than two times a day, and twenty percent are constantly online.
As a digital marketer, it is vital to take advantage of the online world with a social media advertising presence by creating a brand, offering an incredible customer experience that also attracts more potential clients to your company and more with a digital plan.
So, What is digital marketing exactly?
Digital marketing also referred to as social media marketing, is the promotion of products to connect with potential clients by the use of the internet as well as other forms of online communication.
This may include not only web-based, social media, and email marketing but also multimedia messages and text as a marketing channel.
Fundamentally, if a promotional campaign involves digital communication, that is typically regarded as digital marketing.
Digital Marketing versus Inbound Marketing
Most people confuse inbound marketing and digital marketing and for a common reason. In this context, digital marketing utilizes most of the same tools as the inbound form of marketing, including online content and email.
They are both available to capture the attention of potential clients via the buyer’s journey and change them into loyal clients. However, the two techniques take diverse views of the association between the goal and the tool.
For instance, digital marketing takes into account how each marketing tool can attract potential clients. A company’s digital marketing approach might utilize a wide range of platforms or even focus all the efforts on a single platform.
On the other hand, inbound marketing is quite a holistic approach. It first considers the goal, then proceeds to search for existing tools to check which will efficiently reach out to the target audience, and finally, at which phase of the sales funnel ought to occur.
The most critical thing to note in inbound marketing and digital marketing is that as an expert, you do not have to make a choice between the two. In fact, when used appropriately, they work best together.
More specifically, inbound marketing offers purpose and structure for efficient digital marketing to social media marketing efforts, ensuring that every digital marketing channel focuses on a specific goal.
Types of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is a huge field with a wide range of specializations, as there are many ways of interacting through the internet.
Here are some of the common types of digital marketing:
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a fundamental aspect of content marketing, an approach based on distributing valuable and relevant content to the prospects.
Just like any other marketing strategy, the main objective of content marketing is to attract prospects that eventually turn into loyal consumers. However, it does it so different when compared to traditional marketing. Rather than attracting leads with a latent value from a service or product, content marketing offers value freely in the form of printed material. This matters a lot in digital marketing, and there are many statistics to prove it:
1) 92% of digital marketers believe that brands value content as a critical asset.
2) 62% of businesses that have at least five thousand employees produce content on a daily basis.
3) 84% of customers expect brands to produce helpful and interactive content experiences.
Although content marketing is effective, it can be a bit tricky as well. Content writers must have a high ranking in the search engine results and should also engage individuals who will come across the post, share it, and network more with the company. If the content is helpful and relevant, it can create sturdy relationships during the pipeline.
Search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO is precisely a marketing tool instead of a form of marketing. More specifically, SEO is the science and art of making web pages interactive to search engines.
The “science and art” part of Search Engine Optimization is what is most important. It is a science since it needs you to conduct research and weigh diverse contributing aspects in order to attain the highest ranking.
Nowadays, the most vital factors to take into account while optimizing a page include:
• Quality and number of inbound links
• Content quality
• The level of user involvement
When used strategically, these elements make Search Engine Optimization a science, though the irregularity involved turns it into an art.
There is no consistent rule or quantifiable rubric for ranking highly in SEO. Google modifies its algorithm frequently, making it hard to make precise predictions.
You can only able to closely monitor the performance of your pages and make modifications accordingly.
This form of marketing allows an individual to earn money by promoting people’s business. You can be either the marketer or the marketing agency that works with the marketer, but the process remains the same.
Affiliate marketing uses a revenue-sharing model to achieve significant results. If you are the affiliate, you receive a commission each time an individual buys the product or service that you market.
If you are the merchant, you pay the promoter for all the sales they help you achieve. In some cases, affiliates choose to review a single company’s items, probably on a third-party site or blog.
Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Marketing
PPC marketing involves typically posting an ad on a certain platform and making payments each time a user clicks on it.
When and how individuals view, your ad might be a bit complex. When a spot is available on the SERP (search engine results page), the engine fills these spots with what is fundamentally an immediate auction. The Google algorithm prioritizes all available ads based on the following factors:
• Bid amount
• The quality of the landing page
• Keyword relevance
• Ad quality
Every Pay-Per-Click marketing campaign has one or more target activities that leads are meant to finish upon clicking on the ad. These activities are referred to as conversions.
Conversions exist in two different forms, namely: non-transactional and transactional. Making an order is a conversion, and so is a call made to your office or newsletter signup.
No matter your target conversion, you can closely monitor them through your preferred platform to check how your promotional campaign is performing.
Social Media Marketing
This type of marketing involves brand awareness and driving traffic by engaging individuals in a discussion on the internet. The most common platforms utilized for social media marketing include YouTube, Linked In, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Since social media marketing means involving people in an active discussion online, it has become an effective way of gaining attention. It is the most famous content channel for B2C marketers at ninety-six percent, and it is also attaining ground in the B2B world.
Additionally, social media marketing provides built-in involvement metrics, which are very helpful in making you understand how to reach your target audience effectively.
With the built-in engagement metrics, you can choose which forms of interactions work best for you, whether that means total clicks, the number of shares, or comments to your site.
In most cases, a direct purchase is not the primary goal of the social media marketing approach. Most companies utilize social media to establish discussions with customers instead of encouraging them to spend money instantly.
This is particularly common in businesses that focus on older audiences or provide services and products not appropriate for impulse purchases. It is all based on the goals of your company.
Social media platform can be used:
The goal of native marketing is to blend in with the surrounding promotional content so that it is less blatantly obvious like advertising.
It was established in reaction to the suspicion of today’s customers toward advertisements. Being aware that the ad’s creator pays to run it, most customers will conclude that the advertisement is biased and might ignore it.
The native advertisement gets around this prejudice by providing entertainment or information before it even gets to anything persuasive, thus downplaying the main aspect of the “ad.” It is crucial always to label your native advertisements clearly.
Utilize words like “sponsored” or “promoted.” If these indicators are concealed, the audience may end up spending some minutes interacting with the content before realizing it is a form of marketing.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
The digital form of marketing has become popular in most countries since it reaches a huge audience, but it also has several benefits.
Here are some of the most common benefits:
• Hassle-free Personalization: Digital marketing offers you a chance to collect clients’ information in a manner that traditional marketing cannot. The data collected digitally appears to be more precise.
• Cost Efficiency: With digital marketing, you can attract a broader audience by creating a single piece of content that draws many visitors to your site, provided that it is active. Therefore, it reduces the overhead costs involved in television spots and newspaper ads, among other traditional forms of marketing.
• Builds a stronger relationship with consumers: Digital marketing allows you to communicate with your consumers in real-time. Deliberate your social media marketing strategy. It is incredible when your target audience reads your latest blog, but it is even better when they share it or comment on it.
• Quantifiable results: With digital marketing, monitoring the results of your online sites is relatively simple. The online marketing platforms and modern software automatically track direct purchases, total visits to your page, and desired conversions you achieve.
• A wide geographic reach: Once you post an ad on the internet, individuals can see it irrespective of where they are located. This makes it easier to improve your brand’s market reach.
How to Do Digital Marketing?
Since you now know the various types of digital marketing, it is time to learn how to create the digital marketing strategy itself.
Here are the key steps to building a digital marketing strategy:
• Create a client persona- use online tools like Persona Creator or MakeMyPersona to define your customer persona.
• Identify your tools and goals- each professional marketer understands how vital this step is. Without tools and goals, the strategy will simply not work; thus, identifying them is your major task.
• Focus on creating blog posts- creating high-quality promotional content is vital for any digital marketing strategy. Writing blog posts is a great way to expand your content marketing approach.
• Evaluate the available marketing channels- make an analysis of the digital channels and assets that you are already utilizing, including paid advertising, Google Ad-words, blog content, and word-of-mouth.
• Automate marketing- with the current advanced technology and software; market automation is quite an easy task. Marketing automation can perform wonders for your marketing strategies, making it easier for you to systematize actions such as lead generation and email marketing.
• Focus on mobile optimization is a mobile-first era, which means there is no excuse for not boosting your site for an exclusive mobile experience. This stage includes site design and page speed, among other various SEO actions.
• Monitor your process- consistent tracking should be offered to make sure that digital marketing is working efficiently. This can be done by assigning individuals who can deliver this task. Always remember to learn from the errors and look for improvement chances.
Common Problems that Digital Marketing can solve?
The most common challenges that can be solved by digital marketing include:
• Generating leads and traffic-this seems to get more complex rather than more straightforward as more social media platforms emerge. To get customers interested in what you need to say, you have first to create interesting content that your target audience truly wants.
• Managing websites- if done right, your site draws in potential clients, converts them, and lets you improve sales as you sleep. Commonly, managing websites is one of the most significant obstacles faced by most marketers. However, with effective digital marketing strategies, this could be a bit easier.
• Understanding technology and tools- choosing the right software, tools, and technology for your company can be confusing. With so many alternatives available, it can be hard to make an informed decision.
What is SEO?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the practice of utilizing off-page and on-page tactics and tweaks to make sure that your page gets a high ranking on the search results
What is Digital Marketing?
It refers to any form of marketing geared towards tablets, laptops, smartphones, and basically any other electronic device that can connect to a network.
What is Inbound Marketing?
It is a business methodology used to attract consumers by creating helpful and interactive content tailored to them.
Digital marketing ought to be one of the key focuses of almost every company’s overall marketing approach. It offers a chance to stay in consistent contact with your consumers, and nothing else provides this level of personalization. The more you embrace the digital marketing possibilities, the more you will be able to enjoy your business’s growth potential.